Basic Etiquette & Dojo Rules
In any traditional karate dojo, etiquette is of paramount importance, it is essential to observe a few key points to insure that the dojo is a safe environment for people to train.
If everyone knows what is expected of them, there will be less time wasting during the lessons explaining everything and more time to do what we're all here for: Karate.
Below is the 'basic' dojo etiquette of our dojo.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early for class
- Bow when stepping on or off the mat
- Always address the instructor as 'Sensei'
- Always ASK permission to leave the Dojo early
- If arriving late, sit & wait to be asked to join in
- Keep your finger & toe nails short and clean
- Always keep your Karate-Gi clean & tidy
- A white T-Shirt can be worn underneath the Karate-Gi
- Take off any jewellery & tie back long hair
- Listen to instruction without interrupting
- Respect your training partners
- Support lower ranks
- Line up quietly by rank order
- Help keep the mats clean
- Cover any open wounds with a waterproof dressing
- Help make the Dojo a safe & pleasant place to train